Gavin Woods, Partner, Arthur Cox
Gavin is a partner in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department. Gavin is an experienced litigator advising clients before the Irish Courts.
Gavin advises a broad range of clients including Irish and international corporates, financial institutions, property companies, aviation companies, large retailers, third level institutions, statutory bodies and local authorities. Gavin’s practice has a particular focus advising clients on intellectual property disputes (trademark and copyright infringement and breach of confidential information) working with the firm’s Technology and Innovation team and reputation management issues including data privacy, defamation, brand protection and internet related disputes.
- Acting in defence of passing off proceedings for Paddy Power in the Commercial Court for alleged unlawful use of image rights
- Acting for a leading news organisation in successfully resisting an injunction application in the Commercial Court by a competitor for alleged breach of intellectual property rights with respect to the digital edition of an Irish edition of its newspaper
- Advising clients including corporates, media and social media companies on media and internet related disputes including: internet defamation; the protection of reputation and brand; Norwich Pharmacal Orders; and, defamation actions generally
- Acting for an Irish multinational in commercial dispute with its joint venture partner before the ICC in Paris
- Advising a leading Irish property company on a range of litigation issues including a successful appeal to the Supreme Court on the termination of a commercial lease
- Acting for KBC Bank in relation to recovery of loan facilities in excess of €25 million arising as a result of breaches by related borrowers and their professional advisors
- Advising Vodafone Ireland in civil proceedings before the Commercial Court against a former employee and service providers for fraud
- Advising Oracle in Commercial Court proceedings related to the provision of a major IT project to a leading Irish financial institution. These proceedings were successfully resolved through mediation