Getting the Right Expert Witness: Mark Tottenham B.L.
- Definition of an Expert Witness
- The level of qualifications and experience necessary
- What the Courts require
- Expert Witness v Expert Advisor
- Finding the right expert
- The challenge of finding the right expert in Ireland
Experts and Conflict of interest/Bias: Caroline Conroy, Solicitor
- Definition of bias
- Dealing with conflict of interest – actual or perceived
- Scenarios where experts may be conflicted or perceived to be conflicted
- Knowing some of the parties – degree of relationship
- Experts Involved with client’s pre-litigation also advising clients
- UK/US experts being used unnecessarily - 0’Ceallaigh Judgment
The Expert’s Investigation
- Duties of honesty and objectivity under Ikerian Reefer rules
- The level of evidence required
- The level of investigation that needs to be carried out
Relying on information provided by others – the need to
- Suspicion of fraud/exaggerated claims –Expert’s role vis-a -vis their duties?
- Recent Judicial Decisions and Labour Relation Commission recommendations
- The future: Will the ramifications of failing in the role of expert witness become more severe?
Codes of Practice and Guidance for Experts
- The need for codes of practice and guidance for expert witnesses in Ireland
- What codes might look like and the difference codes would make
- Review of codes in other jurisdictions
- Examining how far the Codes of Conduct of Professional Bodies go
Workshops running simultaneously
- Workshop 1- Medical Professional
- Workshop 2- Objectivity and Bias
Top 10 Pitfalls in Cross Examination: Gareth Kinsella B.L.
Role Play: Realistic role-play of Expert Witness being cross examined by an experienced lawyer