Highly interactive online course designed to provide investigators with the core skills to use the internet effectively and lawfully when conducting investigations. Delegates will learn how to maximise evidence that can be sourced from the internet to further their investigations.
What is Open Source Internet Investigation?
An Open Source Internet Investigation is the process where data collected from publicly available sources online can be collected as evidence and analysed as part of your investigation.
Open Source Internet Investigations Course Summary
This is a hands on, online instructor lead course introducing delegates to the fundamentals of an Open Source Internet investigation.
The internet is an increasingly important tool in a wide range of investigations. When used effectively it enables organisations and investigators to save both a considerable amount of time and money. However, failure to research properly, monitor changes, capture data, and follow procedures or legislation could result in any evidence obtained being rendered inadmissible.
It is essential that all investigators have a full understanding of how to effectively use the internet when conducting investigations, including what information is available on the Internet, how to plan an Internet based investigation and how to locate, evaluate and present evidence.
This is an essential course for anyone that uses the internet as part of an investigation or intelligence gathering exercise. Supporting course materials are supplied in the form of a digital download.
Key Learning Points:
- Explain what Open Source material is
- Apply basic and advanced Web search techniques
- Identify useful open source databases and indexes
- Apply appropriate evidence capture methodologies in Internet investigations
- State legislation and procedural practices which may influence internet investigations
- Apply appropriate safeguards when operating online to protect tactics including anonymisation
- Demonstrate the investigative value of digital images
- Demonstrate the investigative value of websites
- Demonstrate the investigative value of Social Media i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc
- Describe the Dark Web
"Excellent course, the trainer was very professional and knowledgeable and had a wealth of experience, I would definitely recommend." John Sheridan, Information Services
“The course was great with very useful links and practical exercises to help understand the skills being taught.” Colm Kennedy, Environmental Waste Officer, Galway County Council.
“The course was excellent and very well presented. I enjoyed the learning and look forward to using it in future.” Adam Coffey, Executive Engineer, Tipperary County Council.